Every organization is looking for one simple thing when it comes to the official website. How to feature the web pages on the first page of Google for the relevant industry-specific keywords? The obsession over the first page of Google is because 33 percent of traffic is acquired from the organic search results. Even if you are executing everything that is required in SEO, there are some things that hurt your SEO rankings. In this article, we will look at some common things that hurt your SEO rankings and how to fix them in order to attain a better SEO ranking.
Sometimes, your website gets penalized by Google, and it experiences a sudden drop in SEO rankings. This sudden drop is often bamboozling and discombobulating to the content markers. A minute shift from page 1 to page 2 may be fathomable but it gets difficult when the SEO rankings drop by a huge margin. There are times when Google’s algorithm change is responsible for the change in SEO rankings. However, most of the time, the factors are under control.
These are the factors that can hurt your SEO rankings and it’s important to know how to fix them.
Here are 7 common mistakes in SEO that you should avoid to sustain or improve SEO rankings –
1. Say No to Exuded Keywords Stuffing –
While an article with repeated use of keywords is more likely to feature on the first page, but that doesn’t mean that you go beyond the recommended keyword density of 1.5%. If the keyword goes naturally with content, you can definitely sprinkle it throughout the article. However, if you are using just to optimize the blog for a better Google ranking, know that you are following a negative practice.
Exuded use of keywords is also detrimental to the reading experience. Imagine a blog on digital marketing that uses the keyword digital marketing services umpteen number of times; so much so that a reader gets to read the phrase “digital marketing services” more than the actual information. Such an article also degrades the credibility of a website. It is more likely that a reader will not visit again for the information.
This will lead to an embarrassing bounce rate, which is something that Google takes very seriously.
How to Fix the Keyword Density Issue?
- Use online tools for keyword analysis. Live Keyword Analysis and Addme are great tools for the same.
- Keep the keyword density limited to 1.5%. Yoast is a good application to know if the keyword density is appropriate or not.
- It is important that the focus keyword is present in the title, meta-description, and your opening paragraph.
- Sprinkle the keyword twice or thrice in the main content. This figure may change with the length of the article.
Basically, there is no problem in using keywords to improve your SEO rankings but the trick is to make it look natural.
2. Ensure Fast Page-Loading Speed –
Page-loading speed has become an essential factor which determines the user experience of your website. In the digital marketing trends in 2019, the user experience of the website is going to be the topmost factor that will affect your SEO rankings.
Most of the online audiences expect a page to load within 2 seconds or less. Moreover, they leave the page in 2 or 3 seconds. So, it is necessary to ensure good page-loading speed. Here are some small steps you can take to reduce the page-loading speed –
- Leverage browser caching.
- Optimize all the images. You can use tinypng to reduce the size of the images.
- Modify codes for further optimization.
- You can also compress your resources.
How to Fix the Page-loading Speed Issue?
You can use the tool PageSpeed Insights by Google to know the current speed of your website. Google will recommend some changes that you can execute to improve your website’s page speed. Refer Pixelergy’s guide to improving page-loading speed on websites.
3. Create Content Rather Than Buying Links –
Buying links may lead to penalization of your website and you will observe a subsequence fall in the SEO rankings. It is important to focus on creating content rather than sharing it.
You can be tempted to buy a backlink that can drive enormous traffic and lead to a multitude of business opportunities, but remember that it becomes a one-time project. Moreover, you can’t be sure how much of that one-time traffic will lead to real-time conversions.
Some of these backlinks are unreliable and are already in the knowledge of Google. To be in the good books of Google, your web pages should stay absolved of such backlinks. According to research, as much as 22% of web admins buy paid backlinks from unreliable sources.
Be a little skeptical with those backlinks that promise to shoot up your SEO rankings at a low price. Link pyramid and link wheel are household terms among content marketers but a very few know that these terms are misused by most of the “link-building” sites.
How to Fix the Issue of Backlinks?
There are some good ways you can build links and one of them is social media marketing. You can share your content on Facebook, Twitter, Quora, Instagram, Snapchat, and LinkedIn in order to acquire traffic to your website.
4. Incorporate AMP Into Your Website –
With more than 85% of the audience surfing data on mobile, Google is position mobile-friendly websites up the ranking order. Furthermore, not incorporating AMP in your website equals to slow page-loading speed which is detrimental to page ranking.
If your website is not responsive on mobile, you will also lose the probable inquiries and conversions. This again root backs to low attention span and the fact that a user is more likely to leave the website in two or three seconds if the website is not responsive.
How to Make the Website Mobile-Friendly?
- Choose the best AMP themes for your WordPress website.
- Use tools like Screenfly by Quicktools to check the responsiveness of your website.
- You can also use Bmobilized to execute AMP on your website.
5. Avoid Too Many Ads on Your Website –
More advertising than the publisher content is going to be punishable and you may observe an irrevocable fall in the rankings.
Ads are plainly irritating for a user and more so when you have included an ad on a repeated basis. More ads equal to more bounce rate which is equal to depletion in SEO rankings.
The loss of global Internet revenue was $21.8 billion according to a report by Adobe and PageFair. This was attributed to the ad blocking.
How to Fix the Issue?
- Create informative content more than the advertising one.
- Decrease the number of ads throughout the website.
- Avoid including ads in a service provider’s website.
6. Keep An Eye on Technical Issues –
Technical glitches like network outages, poor hosting, and slow connectivity hugely affect your website and its SEO rankings.
If the attempted crawls of your data by Google fail due to technical glitches, your SEO rankings are bound to suffer. The minor errors on your website won’t make you suffer but if they are in abundance, Google will abandon crawling and it will affect your SEO rankings.
How to Fix the Technical Glitches?
- Identify the area of concern. A problem identified is half-solved. In the case of websites, this is the most difficult step and you will need constant support in a technology partner or a web development company. However, not all the web development companies are good. Know how to choose the right web development company.
- You can also use an online tool like Downforeveryoneorjustme. The tool will help you to check if your page is up or down.
- The issue may be with hosting or your Internet plan. Use the best web hosting option. If you compromise on web hosting, your SEO rankings will suffer. Liquidweb provides decent web hosting services.
7. Look for Some Good Guest Bloggers –
You can outdo your competitors by incorporating some quality guest posts. However, very few content marketers use this tool. The absence of guest posts doesn’t necessarily deplete your SEO rankings but using the tool can improve the same.
How to Incorporate Guest Posts?
- Feature new writers on your website.
- Create original and engaging content.
- Include an author’s bio and a link with the guest post.
- Use an online guest blogging tool like Guestpost.
- Maintain the quality of content on your website.
In the burgeoning competition on the digital canvas, it is becoming difficult to sustain website rankings. Moreover, the guidelines by Google are going to become more and more stringent in near future, which is raising the worries of digital marketers. In this situation, losing the acquired ranking is the last thing you would want to happen to your website.
So, it is important to stay relevant to the current scenario, share freshly-brewed content, and most importantly, follow the aforementioned tips in order to sustain or improve your SEO rankings.
At Pixelergy – SEO company in Ahmedabad, we strategize the content that catapults the ranking of our clients. We know what is relevant to our clients and accordingly, we introduce content which makes Google identify our customers as thought leaders.